You can qualify for endorsement into California as an RN if you have an active license in another state (or Canada) and meet all California requirements. But effective 8/10/09, the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) is requiring fingerprint cards for temporary California licensing. We recommend you do this as soon as possible. This process takes 6 to 8 weeks for applicants applying from out of state and approximately 2 weeks if you apply in person in the state of California. To apply online, click here: